Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I miss noisy rodents

I bought a blue betta and his name is Bubba. I still have my hermit crabs from NY. At night they make a lot of noise. Often their legs clink on the metal grate they like to climb, or sometimes they dig in the rocks or do cannonballs in the water dish. A hermit crab doing a cannonball into a half shell full of water makes a loud CRACK! And when I put out a hermit crab cake at bedtime, they actually CRUNCH on it. This goes on while I watch the 10:00 news, and then it continues through Jay Leno, and then through Conan. I usually hit the lights and settle down for bed after Conan, and then the hermit crabs really party. I know hermit crabs are nocturnal and they do a lot of stuff at night, but it's weird that the sun goes down and they do stuff for a while, and then a false sun is up (my lamp is on while I watch TV for a few hours) and then it's dark again, and that few hours of "sunshine" doesn't quiet them down. Listening to them scrape around in there is nice, but I miss having noisy rodents. No click-click of a water bottle. No crunch-snap of seeds. No screech-screech or squeak-squeak. No roll-roll of a plastic wheel. No metallic thrum of a climbing rodent falling off the cage wall. No scrape-scrape of digging on the cage floor. It's too quiet without furry little critters around. As soon as I move, I'm going to PetCo and scooping up a handful of white female mice and taking them into my home. I already had males, and they're stinkier than females, so I'll try the females. I miss being kept awake by my beloved furballs and having to get up and take the cage into the kitchen and having to share my cheese because they clung to the sides of their cages waiting for it. I miss coming home to lots of furry critters and greeting them. With the hermit crabs, it's just like "'Sup..." and the little black eyes looking up at me. I do admit that's cute though.

No comments: