Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Backpack Backers

In many ways I'm not like most women. One of those ways is I don't carry a purse. I do carry a backpack though, especially if I'm going to work or grocery shopping. The backpack holds my red vest, a bottle of water, a sandwich, and little bag of pretzels. That stuff doesn't fit in a purse. It's easier to just put as much of my grocery load as I can in my backpack because wearing a backpack leaves 2 free hands to carry any bags of stuff that didn't fit on my back. I also hate trying to carry heavy stuff in a bag so the first things to go on my back are cans and milk/juice jugs. I know it sometimes looks weird to have a backpack but this is apparently becoming a more socially acceptable thing for "grown-ups." I do have to admit I look like a student with a backpack and a DBU sweatshirt, but I do think backpacks aren't such a strange thing anymore. I realized this when I arrived at the bus stop with most of my groceries on my back. There was a guy waiting there already and he was wearing a backpack. 2 more guys showed up and they both had backpacks. I wish more people realized how handy they are, and especially women, because I see a lot of women with a purse AND a bag, or a purse AND some extra items, or a purse AND a sweater, etc. Put all that stuff in a backpack and you don't have to worry about leaving anything behind on the bus or anything like that. It's proven to be very handy for me. A purse is kind of an akward thing to me anyway. Takes up a hand you could have free. Is easily left behind because it's kinda small. Gotta find a place to set it down if you need both hands for something. Gotta juggle ALL the groceries AND the purse. Boy, no wonder I don't have a purse. Inconvenient. :-P

No comments: