Sunday, December 16, 2007

Unexpected Skill

For those of you who don't know, I'm mostly Norweigan (not entirely but mostly). So I grew up around lefse, krumkaka and yes, lutefisk. My family members say "Uff da" and actually so do I sometimes. Grandma made lefse for the first time last year and it was quite tasty. She didn't like that it was thick but I didn't really care because it was very good. She asked me if I wanted to help make lefse this year and I figured what the heck, I've always wanted to learn how it's done. Storebought lefse is like...eh...machine made I think. Lefse should he made by hand whether at home or in a grocery store. Lefse is one of those make-at-home things though for sure. I try not to purchase the already made stuff. I'd never made lefse before so Grandma & I put on our aprons and she showed me what to do. It looked KINDA easy as far as rolling it out on the big round board, but there's a certain way it has to be rolled, and Grandma was having a little trouble but I offered to try since she had showed me how. So I got a glob of the dough, rolled it out, and it was a PERFECT CIRCLE and perfectly thin WITHOUT the stick poking a hole in it! I was impressed! First of all, I'm really not that great in the kitchen. Unless it's in a can or in the microwave, I don't get it right. I really figured I better not even try to cook the lefse on the griddle thingy because I would probably burn it or make it stick or something, so Grandma handled that. We decided right then & there that I would be the roller and Grandma would be the cooker. It didn't take us very long, and for the most part, the pieces turned out pretty good, there weren't many holes or rips or thick spots, and it was VERY tasty. We have to save some for Christmas though so we couldn't snack too much. When I agreed to help make lefse, my brain was saying "Oh boy, this is gonna be really frustrating and I'm gonna be really bad at it because I can't cook and I'm a klutz." I'm really glad I was wrong!! Grandma & I decided to do this every year now because I roll it so well. I like that rolling pin with the ridges in it because it makes those lines on the lefse. I love lefse so it was really hard not to eat it all! I'm so glad I can do this, what a handy (and unexpected) skill!

No comments: