Monday, December 10, 2007

Use of Swears

Ok, so my buddy Larry put this thingy on his web site about his use of profanity. Here's a link http://larrygasik.com/articles/071125_Profanity.html

This inspired me to take a look at when I swear, what causes it, and even things I say instead of swears when one would normally just swear. Here's a handy graphic that shows what percent of the time I'm doing a certain activity is spent swearing. For example, when I tell jokes, I estimated swears are used about 5% of the time (so not very often).

Sometimes a "replacement swear" slips out. One particular example: I was making some chicken nuggets in the oven. I opened the oven to flip the nuggets over with tongs and I dropped one and it landed on the bottom of the oven. Although I was home alone, I said "Ya friggin' fart!" I could've said anything I wanted, there were no children or family members around! My hermit crabs have heard me say much worse, yet "Ya friggin' fart!" is what slipped out. Go figure!

Some other examples that have slipped out include:

Oh flibber flabber!

Aw shibber shabber!

I don't give a flying fart!

Wanker!

In so many ways I'm a bit of an old lady, and this is one way. And yes, I really do swear that much when I play Tibia. Lots of kids playing and lots of BRs and stuff, plenty to swear about. And yes, I'm such an old lady that I say stuff to the TV. Such as "Excuse me Charlie Bell?!?! That is bull sh**! Your a** is gonna lose this mayoral race and I'll be darn happy about it! It's your own d*** fault!" Etc, etc. Don't worry, it's only that bad every once in a while. Usually it's something more like "Pshh, frigginay I don't need that sh**." Any swears used at work are NOT around customers by the way!! I know not to do that. As far as objects/items, this includes "finding a knife the hard way in a drawer," hammering a finger, dropping my box of earrings, or any other negative interaction with an object. I'm glad I saw Larry's thing on his web site because although it was kinda just for fun, it made me take a look at some of the things I'm saying. I do watch my language in any situation where one should (being around family or children or customers at work), but sometimes it just flies out if something huge happens (such as running into that knife in the drawer). I'm also glad to look at my use of swears and know that I don't call anyone names (like b**ch or a**hole or anything). Oh, and any censoring in this post was done by me and not Blogger. I censor anything that "anyone" can read just so it's fairly G rated.

No comments: