Thursday, June 15, 2006

I just saw the coolest freaking thing

So I have lots of pets, and they do neat things and they're all unique and cute, but only a few of them do some really cool stuff. Usually the hamsters do weird weird things. Ever since I introduced Vince into the hermit "crabitat," Steve has been acting different. He no longer just sits around on the sponge, although that's becoming the hermit crab equivalent of humans on couches. So I was looking at all the pets in the kitchen. Gary was cruising up the front wall of his tank. Arnold was hanging out at the bottom of his under the plastic tree, probably sleeping. Lucky was swimming about in his big vase. Vince walked to the back wall of the tank and faced it. Steve walked up to one of the shells I had placed in the crabitat about 2 minutes before. He peered into the opening and poked his legs and claws in it (probably checking for a crab). I said "Nobody's home!" I sat in front of the tank and stared because I figured he was going to change shells and I would get to see it. I'd never seen a crab change shells, or even seen a naked one (no shell). I'd Googled for pictures of what they look like without shells, but I had never seen it for real. Steve stepped up very close the the shell, put his claws on it, hoisted his soft body out of his shell, and lowered it into the empty shell!! I was like "COOL!! SWEET!!" I knew he was going to switch, but I avoided grabbing the camera because I figured if he saw the flash, he would get scared and decide not to do it. I thought it was funny that Vince had faced the wall though. As if Steve had told him "Don't look man, I'm changing." It was just really cool, it was probably the coolest thing I've seen in a LONG time, and it only took like one minute!! I wish the light was better so I could have filmed it. It was that cool!

No comments: