Friday, August 04, 2006

Critters that behave themselves make good pets

So Violet the kitten was closed in the bathroom with the litterbox while we went to dinner with Matthew's mom. We got back to her place and found that she had gone to the bathroom IN THE LITTERBOX and not on the floor! Matthew showered her with treats! Yay Violet!
I sort of accidentally hurt Benny the mouse the other night. When my rodents act up and start fights, I simply give them a flick on the back because they are much too small to swat like you can with puppies & kittens. This works well for the hamsters. Sandy thinks it's okay to walk on Sal's face, and then when Sal screeches, "HEY MAN! Get offa me!" Sandy thinks it's okay to punch Sal!! So Sandy gets flicked and learns not to step on his brother's face because it hurts him. Boris the mouse picks a fight with Buster and Boris gets a flick right on the butt, and both mice freeze right where they are and stare up at me as if to say "Sorry mama!!" So I added Benny the mouse to the mix, and the first thing he did was pick a fight because he's the bully out of the 3 mice. I flicked that furball right away and everyone froze except Benny, who squeaked and flew to one corner of the tank. Buster and Boris stared up at me in fear, and I could see their little mousie hands trembling. They ran to Benny and sniffed and groomed him, and he nosed them off, as if to say "I'll be fine guys, just let me be." Benny sort of limped around in the tank and mostly huddled against walls or corners, and each time I scooped him up to take a close look at him, he didn't resist all that much. Usually when I pick a mouse up by his tail, he just kind of hangs there wondering "Where'd the floor go?? Put me down please?" Benny spun around wildly when held by his tail, so I would put him down. The next day he seemd fine AND all 3 mice have been SHARING ONE NEST! They also have not been fighting since then! I guess they all see what happens when any one of them starts a fight, and they were terrifed when they saw what happened to the bully, and he's supposed to be the big mean guy! WARNING TO ALL MEANIES: I hurt meanies and bullies!! (Even if I didn't intend to! Sorry to Benny the mouse!!)

No comments: